Wednesday 23 April 2014

No words float on water

Lines composed on a walk between Hampstead and Highgate < London 1991

Two smooth stones
    sucked in my mouth
green  is the living colour
  flesh of leaf

no words float on water
   the sun frolicks in the waving grass

Water make me fresh,
  clear ,uncomplicated
give me better answers

grey stone and wood
   Arcane glades
water and leaf and branch of  Oak
  Ash, Elm
answer me I will be druid
  in your these mysteries this day
this stone so like an egg
  holds secrets
but is not an egg
  it will not hatch in my hands

alone on the path
  the white sun and I
the path: Splinters,
  fragments of mute stone
fibrous bones all a silent witness
  chipped prehistoric tools

I sense the feeling of natures spirit
   her secrets
 her ghosts
   who am I, what am I
when will I understand

No comments:

Post a Comment